Friday, September 7, 2012

Life on the Bus





This year I've decided to try new employment. Cooking in the school kitchen was fun last year but just a little to stressful. I still work with the Provo School District but I am now an aide for the special needs  bus.  In the last two weeks I've been on several different assignments.  The first week was picking up students at Timpview High.  We had two wheel chair teenagers who couldn't speak or walk. The rest were Down Syndrome or Autistic. They seemed a little surprised to see a new person but gave me a big smile when I called out their names.

What makes the job fun is how excited the students get when the big bus starts up. Some of them start smiling and waving their arms. Now that Autumn is on it's way a nice breeze comes through the windows while we drive to and from school. They really like it when we hit a small bump in the road. Especially if your sitting in the back!

I never got to ride the bus going to school when I was growing up in Bountiful.  Once in a while I got on a bus for field trips and drill team activities but that was about it. Now I get to ride the bus almost every day and it's way fun.  I feel like I'm a kid again only I get to wave goodbye when we arrive at our destination. 

Yesterday was a Provo High shift with all teenage boys.  A lot of them were much bigger then me but their spirits are full of love and happiness.  Securing the wheel chairs was my most challenging task because they are all different sizes and you have to make sure all the belts are on tight and secure.  I'm sure in time I will be faster but as of right now I'm a little slow.

I also applied to help for an hour and a half at the school right by my house during lunch time.  We rotate working out at recess or in the lunch room.  What's neat is the kids have to raise their hands before they can leave the lunch room.  Last year at the other school 50% of the kids who got free lunch just threw a lot of their meal away and it was pretty discouraging after working hard all morning preparing it.  Now at Amelia Earhart we encourage the kids to try and eat most of what is being served that day.  If Jewels doesn't like what's on the menu that particular day she will ask for a home lunch the day before.

Anyway, the cool mornings are back again and I look forward to my two mile walks.  Hopefully I can get in a little better shape so when I hook up the wheel chairs to the bus I will do it in lickity split time.