Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Memoir from Marci

Summer!!

For the last five years I have really looked forward to summer break. My body just seems to flow with the natural movements of getting up in the morning when I feel completely rested. My eating habits seem healthier, I appreciate the small things like slowing down, not always in a hurry to get to the next thing in my life. I even like chewing my food slower. Summer is just a restful, peaceful time for me. The heat doesn't even bother me any more, although it's nice having central air in the house.

Getting outside and moving around in my  little secret garden brings so much pleasure and delight to me. My little seedlings have started to sprout and my tomatoes are growing strong in the warm sun. This past spring has been very cool and rainy. Lot's more moisture than usual! I'm not complaining, it was nice. My tomatoes have kind of struggled and haven't gotten a head start like they did last year so next spring I may keep them in the house longer by my warm bay window. Our Provo mountains are beautiful, they have more green covered all over them. I feel so blessed to live in such an amazing valley!

Last month I renewed our membership to the Provo Recreation Center since GW is now an official senior citizen. The price for a couple is $200.00 a year so I couldn't wait to get started again and use the facility more often. When the rec center first opened we had a family pass for about eighteen months but it expired about a year ago. I have missed the weight lifting machines because they seem to stretch my stiff bones and muscles.  Yesterday I found out that there is a weight lifting coach on hand three days a week. The price is $5.00 a session if you already have a membership so I'm going to budget one session a week.

Today I met my new coach. Her name is Krisy. She is majoring in Exercise Fitness at BYU and she is just a tiny young thing. It doesn't bother me one bit to have a pretty healthy gal helping me, I like her happy attitude and I think we'll get along just fine. She asked me what my goals were for the summer. I told her I usually always lose around ten pounds every summer and gain it all back on by the time the school year is over. So my goal for this summer is to lose twenty pounds and maybe keep going once school starts so I get back to my thirty year old self again. I listened to George Noory on the radio last night and his mother told him that even though she is eighty-seven years old she still feels like she is in her forties! Now that would be a nice goal to have, always feeling like I'm in my forties. Although when I was forty I was forty pounds over weight through out that age so I'm shooting for thirty. That was my ideal self.

Here's the funny thing. Even though I'm not my ideal self right now, I still like myself. My body struggles more when I try certain things so I guess in the back of my mind being lighter would probably be easier and better for me, but if I don't make it I'm ok with that. I'll just keep trying. Life is good.