Sunday, September 11, 2016

Sister San Diego

One time, Sister Davis and I street contacted this man... And he
almost died because of it.
Life goes on.
HOW HAS YOUR WEEK BEEN?!? Full of miracles? I would hope so. Sorry
family that school had to start. UCSD doesn't start for another
month... We wait. Watching. The Club Rush will be amazing
#LDSINSTITUTEBOOTH! Huzzah!

BEN! Yes. Ben. At the end of a looooong day, Sister Davis and I were
driving in the car. I said yet another prayer in my heart, asking my
father to direct our path. I had the impression to "just keep doing
what your doing." (Blessings for planning). As we arrive at our
destination, we discover that the complex the man we were assigned to
visit WAS LOCKED! Not again. We got out of the car anyway. Walk off
the frustration. Across the street was a young lad. Maybe 20. With
being pretty far from said man, traffic, evening time and every other
reason in the world not to talk to him, I hollered at him. Wow, eye
contact was made and he came jogging over to us. Nearly hit by a truck
in the process. He kind of just shrugged it off then laughed at the
situation. I started laughing with him. "What can I do for you
ladies?" We asked him why he was walking around by himself. "I'm not
actually sure. I have a friend who lives down here in PB." He goes
onto explain that again, wasn't certain why he was wondering the
streets but had previously discussed the reason for life with his
friend and was thinking about it. With further inspired questions, he
informs us that for the first time in his life, he had prayed to God
just a few days prior.
What?
We taught him the restoration and invited him to read the Book of
Mormon and follow the Savior's example to be baptized by proper
authority. He agreed without hesitation and thanked us. As we gave him
a copy of the Book of Mormon, he handled it with care as if it were a
jewel.
I love this work.
We passed him off to the Torrey Pines Sisters. In God I trust :)
I hope he lets that Book change him. Much like it changed me.
SPEAKING OF PEOPLE WHO AGREE TO THINGS WITHOUT HESITATION!
W!
Alright. Our area is on fire. Hold onto your chairs, or tile, or grass
(whatever your sitting on) JUST HOLD IT!
I'm going to share with you my love for this Brazilian investigator of ours...
Then everyone else in-between!
For those who are just logging into "Sister Carlson Emails"
In our first lesson with Wadia, she agreed to baptism before I could
finish the invitation. Her willingness to follow her savior has always
been so strong, AND BACK THEN, it brought me to tears. She stood,
walked across the room, and embraced me as I sat there overcome with
the spirit.
Over the past 2 weeks, W has progressed in this gospel SOOO much,
the tears just keep coming. Our lessons consist of multiple Portuguese
speaking Recent Converts and Members that all testify of their savior
to her in her own language. She is constantly texting us questions and
if we haven't reached out to her yet that day, she'll send the usual
"I love you, work hard today Sisters".
She comes to Institute every Tuesday without fail. If she has a
question in the middle of the lesson, she'll pass us a sticky note.
Everyone knows and loves her at church and when we discussed her
baptism this past lesson, SHE ASKED IF WE COULD MOVE UP HER DATE. "I
don't want to keep waiting".
She came to the Mission President's Devotional and told us after the
fact she had chills the entire time. As we introduced her to
President, he smiled and said "I've heard so many good things about
you!"
W looked at us and then in front of my dear Mission President
POUNCES on me with a kiss on the cheek.
W.
#Brazil
Father. I'm slowly but surely learning Portuguese. HA! Haaaaaa I love this work.
J!
Came to church on her own. In the middle of Sunday school she
announces "Hello I'm J and I'm not a member."
Think tall, blond, Olympic athlete build. J.
We asked her if she would like to meet with us. She accepted. We met
her 3 times last week and she told us that she would gladly be
baptized once she knows this is true. She's almost through 2 Nephi...
I could keep going. There are SO many prepared people out here! But
alas... Time. There is never enough.
I'll end with President. He randomly showed up to Zone Meeting. Milagros.
I've been overcome with the thought of going home recently. So what
does the man do? Hush my fears.
He read:
John 4:35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh
harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the
fields; for they are white already to harvest.
You have 4 months left Sister Carlson. Lift up your eyes.
President: "Go finish."

Sprint to the end my friends. It's not over till it's over. I came to
a tender realization this week as my sweet companion practiced asking
inspired questions... ON ME! Not role-playing one of our investigators
as usual
"What REALLY makes Jessie Carlson happy, excited, joyous in the Gospel?"
Through tears I gave my answer, what came next caught me off guard..
"SISTER CARLSON! You are a CONSECRATED missionary.. And you love the Lord"
With a pause she then asked, "What will you do to achieve what your
heart desires most?"

I leave that question with all of you.
What will you do to achieve what your heart desires most?

Set goals and make plans.

For me? It's doing my best to be and instrument in the Lord's hands.
Alma 29:9 reads
"I KNOW that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do
not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded
me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in
the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my
joy."

RUN! HAVE JOY WHILE YOU'RE OUT OF BREATH! HA!
I love you all :)
Have a good week!

-Sister Carlson