Friday, August 3, 2018

Snake River, Wyoming

Julie and I got to hitch a ride with my cousin Norma from Moroni. We drove to Mountain Green Utah and picked up my eighty year old Aunt Lois. Then we drove to Bear Lake and stayed the night at my Aunt's summer home on the hill. 
We had a great view of the gorgeous blue lake. The next morning we packed up and drove to Paris, Idaho and toured the awesome Tabernacle that was designed by Joseph Don Carlos Young. Brigham Young's son. 

 A very nice elderly sister missionary gave us a tour. Someone was practicing the organ when we got there. So we asked the sister missionary if the organist would let Julie play the organ. Julie sounded great!
After the tour we crossed the street and went into a very little museum. My aunt wanted us to see the mormon cricket. Oh the fun things we get to do on vacation!
Then we were off to Star Valley Wyoming. I haven't had a good visit with my cousin and aunt in a loooong time. The drive was wonderful. We got to see the new temple in Afton, Wyoming. It's not very big but it is sure is pretty.

We finally made it to our motel in Alpine, Wyoming. It was called the Bull Moose Motel. 
The first night was karaoke night in the bar. I had to go outside and get something out of the car when it was dark. Somebody in the bar was really singing off key. Luckily our air condition was loud enough that we couldn't hear anything for the rest of the night.

Alpine Wyoming is right by where the Grey and Snake River meet. Such a beautiful area. The rest of our relatives were camped up the canyon by the Grey River just two miles from our motel.
Some of my cousins had Toy Hauler Trailer's to sleep in but there were tents pitched every where. Since the camping was free my aunt and cousin Steven had to rent a portable toilet for everyone to use. That way the trailer's didn't get overly used. I was just glad to have a bed and a hot shower!
My mom's side of the family have been camping near the Snake River every July for the last forty years. I quit going twenty-three years ago because I was catapulted out of a raft going over white water rapids.

 River rafting wasn't new to me but the summer of 1995 my experience was quite horrifying. My injuries weren't too serious. Going under water in a fast moving river current can be terrifying. GW was able to finally get me back into the raft but I had no desire to go down the Snake river that is until last week.
Julie was able to go on the rapids three times and she loved it. I just took the scenic ride, which was amazing! I highly recommend it for older folk like me.

 That's my cousin Stan to the right. He is very tall.

The river ride took about two and half hours. We started kind of near the Teton mountains and ended up just below Jackson Hole. I'm glad I was able to get over my fear of river rafting. The current was quite strong but my cousin Steven made sure we paddled hard!
We saw a huge Eagle's nest and an Eagle close by. There were lots of birds and we passed a few people fly fishing. The breeze was so nice and if we got a little hot we just put our hats in the water. Julie did a flip off of the raft into the river. She's such a show off.
Trips can be so relaxing and rewarding. We also spent a day shopping and sightseeing in Jackson Hole. Norma drove us over to the Grand Teton Ski resort where we took a ride on the new large tram that only cost thirty-four million dollars to build. No wonder our tickets cost so much. But the view was worth it and I love seeing the Grand Tetons. The food we ate on this particular trip was very rich and delicious. That's why it was so fun to go with Norma and Aunt Lois! I felt so blessed to be with them and so many people I love. Julie is already planning on taking the rest of our immediate family next year. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.