Monday, April 2, 2012

Hummus is a great alternative to calorie-filled dips!

U


Another new food the Provo School District has been trying this year is hummus.  I was skeptical at first but as lunch ladies we always sit down together and eat lunch before we serve the kids.  Some of the cooks were eating red pepper hummus with their veggies. Comes frozen and already pre-made, we just have to thaw it out the day before.
My friend Pam also mentioned to me about making hummus at home with a food processor.  Once she made some for J#4 and it tasted great!  


At school we serve it at least every other week with a finger salad that includes carrots, celery, and jicama. Which is another new veggie I've never tried before until this year.


The stores sell hummus but it's pretty expensive, so I'm going to share a recipe that Pam gave me with a little extra of my own ingredients.


First you have to find this interesting ingredient called Tahini. It can be found in most grocery stores. Just think peanut butter, only made with sesame seeds.


 I don't have a food processor so I use a blender.



Red Pepper Hummus

1 garlic clove minced
1 15 ounce can of garbanzo beans or chick-peas, drained
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup roasted peppers
few dashes of cumin and cayenne pepper
drizzle of olive oil
optional 1/2 chopped onion and a 1/2 cup of plain yogurt

For a change you use the same recipe but delete the red pepper and add an avocado.


It's not only good but healthier then the sour cream dips.
You can spread it on sandwiches as well.


Enjoy and let me know what you think.