Sunday, June 24, 2012

Red Flags





I'll be fifty-three in two weeks.  I have been feeling like forty-three until I hurt my foot last Thursday!  I was just trying to help my neighbor when I lost my balance and fell over the curb by the side of the road.  I knew I was in trouble when I tried to walk back to the stairs connected to my porch. The pain was a new experience for me.  I can't remember the last time I hurt so bad!  I stayed sitting on my porch for sometime trying to calm myself down in case I had broken my foot.  I was so upset I decided to continue with my yard work until it was finished even though the pain was very uncomfortable. Red flag


I finally finished my work and went inside to rest.  I thought to myself, I better take it easy so I don't make things worse.  I had Jewels go borrow the neighbors crutches and walker.  I looked like an old woman, but I didn't care.

Looking back I remember my first calling in the church after I got married and moved to Provo.  I was asked to take the RS lesson on tape to the widows and older married couples who had health challenges in the ward. Gary and I had moved into an older neighborhood with big old houses that had little apartments. There were lots of seniors who rented their little apartments to college students.

One of the sisters who had severe Osteoarthritis couldn't walk.  She had a nurse come in every other day to help her bathe.  Her husband made her meals and basically took care of all her other needs.  She was such a sweet little thing who was in a lot of pain.

Another sister was in her nineties and was living independently in her own home.  I couldn't just drop off the tape and leave every week, so I enjoyed visiting and getting to know her as well as the other seniors in the ward.  After I had my first baby they also loved it when I would bring him along.

One Sunday I was informed by the RS President to not go to a certain widows home because she had fallen and broken her hip. To my surprise it was the ninety year old widow who was very alert and pretty healthy.  Then two weeks after that I was told she had passed away suddenly.  Her fall had caused her to get pneumonia due to her not being able to move around.  It all happend so fast that I have never forgotten it.

Even though I'm not ninety I must take caution and be more careful I guess.  Look for red flags, try and remember my body isn't forty any more. I don't think I've broken my foot because I'm getting around better and the swelling has gone down.  I just look funny when I go out in public and try to walk. Then there is having to explain why I walk so weird.

My family is adjusting, they're learning to do things on their own. Which is good.  Things are a bit unorganized but that will change in time. That's what I have now is a lot of time, and I kind of like it. Maybe I'll actually get all my kids pictures and papers filed away.  This is a new pace for me, learning to slow down.  One of my many favorite songs comes to mind.

Slow down, you move to fast.
You got to make the morning last.
Just kickin down the cobble stones.
Lookin for fun and feeling groovy.