Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Cold

Recess has been inside the school for the past two weeks since the cold is now setting historic temperatures.  I have enjoyed playing UNO with the fifth graders, chess with the third graders, but nothing tops the active first graders.  They have so much energy and I love being around them.  Last Tuesday a six year-old girl kept coming to me for help on spelling words.  The classroom is quite active so I really didn't pay attention to what she was doing.  I was impressed that she was spelling difficult words and that it took her the entire recess time to write down everything.

 Towards the end of recess I figured out that this particular first grader must be writing some patriotic poem or song.  When the bell rang I reminded the class to start picking up all their blocks and games so they could surprise their teacher with a clean room. This same little girl followed me out into the hall to tell me she needed to sing me the song she had worked so hard to write down.  With passion she started singing the song, "God Bless the USA".  When I looked at her paper I noticed she had written down all the verses even though some of the words were spelled wrong. I was so impressed that I had to give her my undivided attention.  Her parents must play this particular song often at home because she knew the entire song by memory.  This darling first grader may have been a little off tune, but she sang beautifully.  It not only made my day, but my entire week!