Saturday, November 30, 2013

Memoir from Me "Pumpkin Pie"




For as long as I can remember I have never been able to eat very much pumpkin pie.  I don’t know why, it’s just one of those desserts I’ve never really liked.  One of my daughter's also does not like pumpkin pie so I know she takes after me.  This year for Thanksgiving I decided to buy only one kind of a dessert, and yes it was pumpkin pie.  I even purchased two of them at Sam’s club.  This way I knew I would not have to stress over sweet consumption.

For the first time we went out to eat at the Marriott Hotel Thanksgiving Buffet.  My dear friend Pam came along and we were excited to try a new experience.  The food was great and I totally ignored the dessert table. Although there was a classical guitarist who sat next to the table of many sweets. He made the atmosphere very relaxing and played one of GW’s favorite songs “Classical Gas”. It was nice tasting different foods and we were able to get new ideas on how we might prepare the big feast next year.  The gravy was made with corn starch which had a different taste, but very good.  I didn’t even eat the mashed potatoes because the yams had pecans in them and they were very fluffy and light.  Everyone liked the cooked shrimp best with a great cocktail sauce.  In all, going out to eat was nice since I didn’t have to work as hard, but the cost was a bit pricey.

Thanksgiving night we had more friends over for cold cuts, rolls, fruit salad and pie.  It didn’t take very long for me to prepare since I had baked a turkey the day before.  I had also purchased a new game called “Wits and Wagers”.  I like to listen to talk radio stations and Dave Ramsey had recommended the game.  I’m happy to say the game was a success! I think those are my favorite memories, sitting around a table playing fun uplifting board games. Other games we like to play when we have company over are: Apples to Apples, The Worst Case Scenario, Would You Rather, Yahtzee and Fact or Crap. There have been nights while playing games we have been able to wear off a few calories because of episodes of laughter.

This year I didn’t feel stuffed from consumption of food since fruit and chocolate covered almonds was my dessert. That is why I like pumpkin pie.  It fills family and friends up and you don’t even have to think about it.