Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Carlson's Favorite Cuisine



I haven't posted a recipe since last fall. Life has been way busy for me so I have prepared food with just the basics in our home. Mashed potatoes almost every Sunday, enchiladas weekly, soups, and pizza made on pita bread. Easy, simple and yummy. Of course I always try and serve veggies with my meals.

Today Jewels reminded me that she really liked the black bean veggie burger's I made last summer. I like to make a double batch so I can freeze the burger's and then my girls can make a meal themselves. The nice thing is if their friends are over during meal time black bean burgers are cheap and delicious as well! Don't forget to wrap separately with plastic wrap or they'll fall apart.

I basically got part of the recipe on line but I always like to read the comments from others so I can figure out my own style and taste. Also, you can use any legume with this recipe which is nice.

2 cans of black beans
1/2 a bell pepper
1/2 med zucchini (seeds scooped out)
1/2 onion
1/2 cup oats
1 cup rice
1 package of Ritz crackers
2 cloves garlic
2 eggs
1 Tbsp cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp hot sauce
2 Tbsp onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven at 375.
Drain beans and mash in food processor. Set aside in a large separate bowl.
Mix eggs and spices all together in a small bowl.
Cut veggies in cubes and pulse in food processor.
Add egg mix, crackers, rice and oats and pulse four our five times until all is mixed well.
Empty into mashed black beans and mix well by hand.

Hopefully the mix has turned out sticky and thick but holds together. Place on cookie sheet that has been greased with olive oil. Shape into patties and place in oven for fifteen minutes. Cool off for five minutes and flip over so they can bake for ten more minutes. This recipe makes fourteen good size patties. At the store it cost almost $8.00 for six veggie patties. Outrages!

They may look dry but they are moist in the middle and very good! Jewels and Henny Penny like avocado, lettuce and a little cheese on their burger.




PS  Great food storage meal and rice makes the burgers a complete protein!