Saturday, February 18, 2017

Kidney Stone on Valentines Day

I got a call from Julz around 9:00 am at Provo High Tuesday morning saying she was having pain around her abdomen area. Luckily it wasn't very busy at my school concerning aide work, so I didn't have to get a sub. When I arrived at Provo High I could tell by looking at Julie that she had been crying. I hurried and checked her out and drove straight to Utah Valley Medical Center.

Our family has a history for appendicitis and I didn't want to take any chances. The first thing the nurse did was ask Julz for a urine sample. When she came out of the ladies room Julie told me she had blood in her urine, I knew we had come to the right place.

It took forever to get ready for an ultra sound test since Julie needed two bags of liquids to get her organs in the right position.  After the ultra sound, (which took an hour), Julz threw up. Next thing we know she is wheeled back to ER getting prepped for a cat scan. Her appendix looked fine but her kidney had fluid around it and there was a little rupture on the outside. I stayed in Julie's ER room while the nurse wheeled her to the cat scan. That test only took about twenty minutes.

Finally lunch time had passed and the ER Doctor Cox informed us that Julie had an 8mm kidney stone on top of her bladder!! What, my sixteen year-old, a kidney stone! I was very surprised since I'm the only one who has ever gotten a kidney stone. Plus I was forty-two years old!! My stone was from nursing too much and not drinking enough. Where in the heck did Julie's come from?

The next thing we know Doctor Cox was calling Doctor Platt the Urologist for surgery. Luckily there was an opening for the next day.  GW volunteered to take Julie so I didn't have to miss any more work. By the time we got home on Valentines day it was almost early evening and she was actually feeling better. Julz went to bed and slept the entire night without any pain. Go figure.


Wednesday arrived and the surgery was a success. Julie was able to come home the very same day. Lot's of friends came over with flowers, cookies, soft blankets, and one teddy bear.

                             I had to take a picture of this giant card from Julie's bio-tech class.
Yes that is a kidney stone made out of foil.

Needless to say it has been an emotional week due to pain pills, lots of support coming from family and friends. From now on I think Julie will be drinking much more water and fluids.

Hopefully no more stones will come to pass.