Saturday, November 24, 2018

Brighton Ski Resort

I haven't been skiing in over thirty-two years. Last Wednesday was my first attempt! I thought it would be a fun tradition to start around the holidays. Jess learned to snow board after her mission and was anxious for her new husband to learn. Julie's boyfriend also likes to snow board. I decided it was time.
Two years ago the principal at my school where I work told me about a used ski store in Sandy Utah. I finally went and checked it out. I was impressed with the good quality of skis and snowboards. They had a package deal for $99.00 which included everything! Even though GW has a bad knee and wouldn't be able to participate, he still wanted everyone to be included. We ended up buying the package deal for all those you see in this photo except for Coleton on the far right. They even had used helmets for $20.00 and nice goggles that were also inexpensive!!

 The girls had gone skiing with their 4th grade class years ago and liked the experience. But with all the music and dance activities skiing just wasn't in the budget. This particular trip at Brighton ski resort I hired a ski instructor named Doug Kitchens. He taught everyone important skills for the first hour. He was worth every penny! I was worried Jenny would get too frustrated and quit. Everyone had a great time and was very sore the following day, which was Thanksgiving.

 Poor Jessie had a bad fall and sprained her wrist. The ski patrol put her on a sled and took her down the mountain. Luckily she didn't break her arm. Hopefully it will heal fast enough so we can go again during Christmas break. 
 As for me, my legs and knees didn't feel the same as when I went skiing a long time ago. I'll just have to take it slow and easy and remember I'm not as young as I used to be. There's something about being up in the mountains and breathing in the fresh air. The blue sky is so pretty and nature with family together just makes me happy. Now we just need to talk Jacob and Brittany into going.